How to Participate
It’s simple and it’s fun: Linguistic Risk-Taking Passports will be handed out in selected ESL and FLS classes offered by the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute. The passport can also be downloaded from this website. Students will undertake various linguistic risks outside of class across campus. Towards the end of the term, there will be an opportunity to submit completed passports for a draw to win prizes.
Detailed Rules of Engagement
- Take as many risks as possible from the list included in the passport.
- Give yourself a check mark for each risk taken:
- Most risks can be repeated up to three times (see number of checkboxes by each risk);
- Risks can be taken in any order you like;
- You do not need to undertake all risks listed;
- Each time you undertake a risk, indicate whether you thought the level of risk was High, Medium, or Low by adding the corresponding letter (H, M, or L) beside the checkbox.
- Feel free to use the blank passport pages provided at the back to propose additional risks.
- Tally the risks you have taken and once you have completed at least 20 risks, including repeated ones, submit the passport to your language teacher or to the OLBI reception desk (MHN 130) to participate in a draw for prizes.
- Submissions for the draw will be accepted from October 30, 2017 until November 17, 2017.
- If you win a prize, you will receive it in your language class or you will be notified by email.
- Make sure you enter a valid uOttawa email address in your passport.